Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Technology in action

Ladies and gentlemen. Perhaps I already talked to you about this, but I’d like to say a few words about the technology and my major in college. The subject is fascinating, although it seems that many people completely don’t understand my life choice. Ironically I understand why they don’t understand…
Polish version

First of all, what do I study? Computer science. More specifically, computer information technology, which essentially sums up to collecting, processing, and presenting information, and repairing "broken" keyboards, monitor, servers and the Internet, or assigning privileges to users. In other words, we are sitting in front of computers and repairing errors you might encounter... Ok. Probably that doesn’t sound like a lot of fun, but on the other hand, what sounds better? The policeman who risks his life every day? Gardener? Plumber? I guess everything sounds good if you like doing it…

Why computers? The technology is absolutely fascinating. Look at this - I'm sitting on the floor in the room at the other end of the world, eating ice cream, and writing the text which I will then publish in a few days. And one more thing - I listen to songs from 2015, and 2014, and those 5, 10, 25 years old, and I have no problem to find them. And one more thing – I was submitting an assignment and I had to upload it on the school server, so I connected from home (which reminds me... I still need to finish math homework...). I read books, listen to music, watch movies and TV series ... and all this without moving from this piece of the floor on which I sit, without the need for putting ice cream aside.

Programs and websites like Dropbox or Google Drive allow you to store files. Pages like Evernote give you freedom to store notes (I have there tens of notes of lectures, some random notes to remember, the commands to the terminal I needed one day, some statistics to one of the computer games...). There are pages for movies, and music, and photos. There are forums on hundreds of topics, from those devoted to Linux, through those revolving around books and movies, to those that are completely random and no one knows what’s going on.

Technology is moving forward allowing us to do things without leaving home, without getting up from the couch, or without turning off the TV. I know that it would be more fun to run, jump, sleep, or do some other nonsense, but people involved in the problems of other people are also needed. Some are psychologists, others work in IT.


Besides, computers have one advantage over the people - they are not unpredictable. The correct command, the correct values ​​and everything works as it should, without any problems. With people it’s not always so easy…

No comments:

Post a Comment